© Newtownards District No.4
THE OPENING OF CRAIGANTLET ORANGE HALL
LOL 1973 has recently been given two fantastic photographs relating to the opening of the Orange Hall at Craigantlet.
The first is a copy of a newspaper report on the official opening, which took place on Saturday 4th June 1960. The opening ceremony was preceded by a parade in the area that featured bands and lambeg drums.
The opening of the hall was carried out by Mrs W.M. May, wife of the then Minister of Education in the presence of her husband and District Officers from Newtownards.
The second photo shows lodge members and volunteers involved in the construction of the hall posing during a break in their shift. The land that the hall is built on was kindly donated to the lodge by the Boyd family, who owned the neighbouring quarry and the hall was constructed for the sum of £6000.
The picture dates from around 1959 and those featured are as follows: back row - Bobby Gray, Neville Henderson, Johnny Herriot, Eric Henderson, George Henderson, Billy Craig, Eddie Gray, unknown, Tommy Brown. Front row - unknown, Geordie Nicholl, Alec McEneny, Billy Andrews, Willie Hansell, (boy) Tom Brown's son.