Our Lodges

Ulster's Chosen Few
LOL 111

Apprentice Boys
LOL 128

Rising Sons of William
LOL 240

Temple of Loyalty
LOL 481

Boyne
LOL 1054

Greenwell Street
LOL 1363

Volunteers
LOL 1501

Mill Street Heroes
LOL 1908

Scarlet Crown
LOL 1919

Loughries True Blues
LOL 1948

Ex-Servicemen's
LOL 1952

King George VI Memorial
LOL 1973

Junior Boys
LOL 131

A District of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland

our district | the order | our parades | features | orange links | guestbook | contact us

VOLUNTEERS LOL 1501

This Lodge has an interesting warrant. It was originally an army or marching warrant which was brought to the town in the 1840s.

This warrant was first issued to a Lodge in Bandon, Co Cork in 1823 and then renewed on 6th July 1824. It was handed back to Grand Lodge in 1830. It was re-issued in 1832 to the 81st Regiment of Foot in 1832 and re-directed to the 83rd Regiment in 1866. It was returned to Grand Lodge again in 1876. It was re-issued in 1877 to Hugh Evesbeth of Mill Street, Newtownards as W.M. There were 40 members returned that year.

The Lodge had no returns in 1880, but in 1881 they returned 18 members with Samuel McCreight as W.M. Bro McCreight was the builder of the present Orange Hall in Newtownards. In 1882 the warrant was renewed to Henry Finley of Zion Cottage, Newtownards. In 1883 T.R. Lavery, a local factory owner became W.M. and remained in office until 1899. The position was taken over by James Mawhinney of Frances Street in 1900.

The Lodge on 12 July 1954

T.R. Lavery became District Master of No4 District in 1907 and remained so until 1941 when he died. The Lodge members were active in the 1912 Ulster crisis when many joined the UVF and consequently became members of the 13th Bttn Royal Irish Rifles (36th Ulster Division) in the First World War. The W.M. of the Lodge in 1916 was Lieut William Wright who was on duty on the Somme on 1st July 1916.

The Lodge is known as the Volunteers. It has been very active in the District Lodge all the years of its existence, supplying many of the District officers though the years even up to present day. Past members of the Lodge have held the post of District Master of No 4; the late Bro T.R. Lavery, Bro W Webb, Bro E Young and Bro J Boal.

Our current banner features the victory of King William III at the Battle of
the Boyne, 1690 on one side and on the other side a biblical scene. We
have had this banner from 21st June 1969 when it was unfurled by the late
Bro. Elliott Young's wife Emma Young.

President of the club, T R Lavery The first was a prominent figure in all the loyal orders and in the political life of the town. Born in 1852 he was the owner of the Ann Street Hemstitching Works. A Town Commissioner, in 1904 he became the chairman of the newly formed Newtownards District Council. In the same year he became Master of RBP 290.  He was President of the Apprentice Boys until his death in January 1940.


The Past District Masters of LOL 1501
Bro. T.R. Lavery

Bro. E Young

Bro. W Webb

Bro. J Boal

 

WM Bro Andrew McKee presenting a 70 year membership
certificate to the late Bro Robert Pierce on the 12th July 2004
after the demonstration at Donaghadee. Bro Pierce joined Belle
Isle LOL 1314 Maguirebridge, Co Fermanagh in 1934 and
transferred to LOL 1501 in 1953. Also in the picture are
Bro A McKee, Bro D Beattie, Bro J McKee and Bro D Irwin.
The Worshipful Master Bro. Andrew McKee presents a 50
year jewel and certificate to his father Bro. Alfred McKee.
Included is his other son, the treasurer Bro. John McKee

12th July 2005

the Lodge leading the District in July 2005

 

! If you are interested in joining this Lodge, contact us here