Sons of William
George VI Memorial
A District of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland
APPRENTICE BOYS LOL 128
The "Apprentice Boys" were one of the strongest Lodges in the nineteenth century. Formed in the 1840s, one of its leading members was Viscount Castlereagh. Before the building of the Orange Hall it used to meet in the Good Templar Hall which was situated in West Street.
New banner dedicated
At the start of May, "Apprentice Boys" LOL 128 dedicated a new lodge banner at an event in the Orange Hall. Guests of the lodge on the occasion were Bro. Jim Shannon MP and Bro. Jeffrey Donaldson MP and the lodge were also supported by a large number of Orangemen and women from the district.
The new banner features William of Orange on his white horse crossing the River Boyne with the reverse naturally depicting the scene of the 13 apprentice boys closing the gates of Derry at the beginning of the siege of 1688.